Monday, June 25, 2012

Michelle is Naturally Glamorous


Michelle of Radiant Brown Beauty


When did you decide to go natural? Why? 
It was about 7 years ago. I decided to go natural because I have fine hair for one - hair similar to my mom's.  My mom's hair is now very thinned. On top of that I read a book by Cathy Howse entitled, "Thinning Edges." That shocked me into putting down that relaxer. I didn't want my hair to be thinned out or damaged beyond repair.


Did you big chop or transition? How did you manage your hair while going natural? 

The big chop was not for me. I'm not a fan of short hair - not for me. I transitioned until my hair was about chin length and then had a stylist cut off my relaxed ends.
For the period of time that i had relaxer in my hair, I'd visit the Dominicans and have them blow my roots straight in order to keep my two textures of hair blended. Not keeping those two textures blended is welcoming breakage. 



When did you BC?  What was your initial reaction to your natural hair? 

As mentioned, I never did the BC. I was however in awe of my natural hair. My mom always said I had wavy hair but I wasn't fully aware of how my hair actually looked or felt until I had about 4 inches of natural hair.
 

Straightened hair (with the blow dryer the Dominicans used)


How did your family and friends react to the new you?  What was your response to them? 

My family and friends thought I transitioned to fully natural very well. My hair always looked nice (thanks to the Dominicans lol) and there was very little breakage. I think I inspired some of my friends to take the plunge. A few of my co-workers are now reaching out to me to find out how I care for my natural hair.


What does this journey mean to you? 

I don't consider it a journey anymore. It's now a lifestyle. I can't ever see returning to relaxed hair. I have much more versatility with the hair as it is growing out of my scalp.



What is your daily regimen? 

My regimen may be considered very extensive to some but to me, it's caring for myself in a way nobody else could. Daily, I protective style. I moisturize or oil my hair daily. Weekly, I pre-poo, wash, deep condition (for moisture), apply a leave in and seal my hair before styling. Monthly I do a protein and a henna treatment (not at the same time). Here's more info. on my pre-poo regimen: http://radiant-brown-beauty.com/revised-pre-poo-finger-detangling-regimen/



What products do you currently use, and how are they working for you? 

 I use a number of products but I've finally found the products I plan to keep once I'm done using up what I have. Those would be:
  • Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus alernating with Hair Thickening Shampoo
  • Aubrey Organics Honeysuck Rose (as a Leave In)
  • Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balance Conditioner (for pre-pooing)
  • Vatika Oil (for pre-pooing)
  • Aubrey Organics Green Tea Rinse 
  • Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (for detangling while washing)
  • Kimmaytube Leave In Conditioner Recipe (alternating with AO)
  • Jojoba Oil (for sealing the length of my hair and daily oiling)
  • Jamaican Black Castor Oil (for sealing my ends)
  • Jane Carter Nourish and Shine alternating with:
  • Shea Butter Mix Recipe (adapted from Youtuber Naptural85 - I leave out the Vitamin E)
  • Henna for African Hair (from mehandi.com


What have you learned throughout your journey?
I've learned that my hair is unique in its own way and what works for others doesn't necessarily work for me. 



Any advice for others on their journey?

Take the time to learn your hair. Know your hair type and texture and experiment with products to find what works for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment