Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Waychaun is Naturally Glamourous



Waychaun of Luvbeinnatural


When did you decide to go natural? Why? 
 I decided to go natural in 2009. I was working out quite a bit and I just couldn't get my relaxers to last. Going natural was the best option for me at that time, and has been one of the best decisions I've ever made! 

Did you big chop or transition? How did you manage your hair while going natural?  
I transitioned for 9 months. I wore my hair in kinky twists, and then a few straw sets. I also did a roller set once. I like that style, and would tried it a few more times, but I did my big chop pretty soon after that.
 
When did you BC?  What was your initial reaction to your natural hair? 
 I did my BC on Nov 17th, 2009. Clearly it was a big deal and still means a lot to me, because I remember the exact date! lol! I was relieved, and I loved my hair. It was a little shorter than I thought it was going to be, but I was ready and I loved my hair so much. My very first style was a twist out, and I was so proud!!
 


How did your family and friends react to the new you?  What was your response to them?  
I had mixed reactions. Some of my family and friends tried talking me out of going natural, and they didn't really like my new short hair cut. But I think it was more of the 'change' itself that they weren't too sure of, not my natural hair. Change can be difficult for lots of people. Once they got used to it, they prefer me now with my natural hair. Other family members and friends have loved my natural hair since the beginning. So I got a mixed reaction for sure! But at the end of the day, I knew what I wanted and it didn't matter what they though. So I continued to 'do me' and they I was happy with that.
 
What does this journey mean to you? 
My journey means a lot of things actually. It's opened up a lot of doors and opportunities that I never even though of, or never even knew I wanted. It's been life changing!! 



What is your daily regimen?  
My daily regimen.... well, that depends on the style I'm wearing. Generally my hair is twisted and pinned up. So if that's the case, after I work out I rinse my hair or co-wash, then apply leave in conditioner and pin it right back up. Maybe put on a headband, and that's about it. Then at night I add leave in conditioner and put on a satin bonnet. If I'm wearing an out style, I'll wake up and untwist my hair with a little coconut oil on my hands. Then style with hair pins or something like that. Before bed, I add leave in conditioner and retwist. Put on the satin bonnet, then goodnight! :0)
 
What products do you currently use, and how are they working for you?  
Right now I use My Honey Child Scalp Cleanser and Creame of Nature Argon Oil Deep conditioner. Those are my favorite right now, and they work great for me! 

What have you learned throughout your journey?  
Patience! lol! That's the number one thing that I have learned. Patience when it comes to my hair growing, when it comes to styles that don't work out, sometimes dealing with the ignorance of others when it comes to natural hair... lots of different things... patience, patience, patience!!
 
Any advice for others on their journey? 
 Basically just to own your journey! It's your journey, make sure you do what is going to make you happy. And embrace it... with patience! lol! It's just like any other goal, it's not always easy, but if it's something you want, I will be worth it!! 


><>

Check out Waychaun's Youtube channel: Luvbeinnatural

No comments:

Post a Comment