|Picture got from P.S Love Charli|
So, my hair regimen is going to be quite different this year. For one, I will be switching up products and caring for my hair much better than I have these past 2 years. I guess it is this weave that is pushing me a whole lot towards making this decision and I guess that is a good thing, but at the same time, I wish I didn't get this weave (the itch is real! but not as bad as it was on Sunday).
Okay! So, here's what my new regimen (or plans for my hair) will look like:
- I will switch products to the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus line (I pray that works for me) and also invest in some bentonite clay or amla powder. I will co-wash in between the week, wash with a clay/mud once a week and wash with an actual shampoo once a month, every other month or if I feel it is really needed. Also, I will deep condition my hair at least once a month probably using the Midas Naturals Shine Conditioner. If not, I will use the deep conditioner in the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus line (or I will alternate between these two products)
- I will wear my hair short (shrunken) more often to minimise how much I have to retwist overnight or do whatever to maintain a stretched style (to minimise how often I have to manipulate my hair, in general)
- I will protective style once in a while, but not with crochet braids as often as I have these past 2 years and definitely not with a weave. I probably will invest in a kinky/curly wig as that way, I won't have my hair covered directly with extensions for a prolonged period of time, I can properly moisturise it and keep my scalp thoroughly clean.
- I will seal I moisture using extra virgin olive/coconut oil and if I feel I need a heavier sealant, with some shea butter too.
- As a gel, I will probably use a lighter flaxseed gel than the one I initially made and probably use a spray bottle or bottle with a dispenser head for it.
- I will not wear my hair out and short all the time. If I don't have a wig on, I probably will just put my hair in two cornrows or I will stretch my hair out (I'll probably invest in curlformers for that) and just try to maintain the stretch in a very low manipulation method.
I might invest in a blow dryer (with a diffuser) this summer, but I probably won't use it till autumn/fall. I am just purchasing it to use while at uni in case I need to speed up the rate at which my hair dries (as my hair takes almost a full 24hrs to dry) and to stretch out my curls a little. I will definitely not use the blow dryer on my hair daily as, in case you didn't know this, I heat damaged my hair at the start of my natural hair journey and I don't want to do that again.
Hopefully, this new regimen gets me to my desired/goal hair length within the next 2 years (waist/hip length).
Blog again soon!
p.s I might invest in some Jamaican black castor oil too to help with my edges that have been tortured by this weave.